Notice in the Bible we refer to the following:
Book - John (there are many different "books" in the one book of the Bible),
Chapter - Normally found as a big numeric heading. John has 21 chapters,
Verse - a segment usually about a sentence long.
The chapter and verse markings were added to the text as a handy index about 800 years ago. They are the same in virtually every different translation.
Here's a link to John chapter 5. You can also compare the text in several different languages and translations.
If you want a copy of John's Gospel in print, we're happy to meet you around the Mizzou campus and put one into your hand!
1. At the start of chapter five Jesus heals a man, even though it is the Sabbath, a day of rest. Why would it be appropriate or inappropriate for him to do this?
2. Many Christians understand the Sabbath as a time that symbolizes rest from sin and struggles. Evaluate this idea.
3. Later in chapter five, Jesus speaks about the testimony given by John and some others about him. What impressions do you get about Jesus from your reading of the Scripture?
4. Jesus makes a contrast between "judgment" and "life." Why are those opposites?
5. Do you fit into the category of "judgment" or "life?" Why?
Be sure to ask your questions and share your ideas in the comments for this post!