Book - John (there are many different "books" in the one book of the Bible),
Chapter - Normally found as a big numeric heading. John has 21 chapters,
Verse - a segment usually about a sentence long.
The chapter and verse markings were added to the text as a handy index about 800 years ago. They are the same in virtually every different translation.
Here's a link to John chapter 15. You can also compare the text in several different languages and translations.
If you want a copy of John's Gospel in print, we're happy to meet you around the Mizzou campus and put one into your hand!
1. In John 15, Jesus refers to himself as the "true vine" and says God the Father is the gardener who cares for vines. Christians are the branches of the vine. What does that relationship tell you about the Christian's life?
2. What happens to branches which are broken or become disconnected from the plant?
3. Based on verses 10-14, how can we make sure we remain connected to Jesus, the vine?
What are specific steps you can take that help you hold to Christ?
4. Verses 18-25 talk about how our broader culture might think about Christians. What shoul Christians expect in their lives? What encouragement does Jesus give here?
5. Jesus returns to the idea of the Holy Spirit in verses 26-27. What encouragement does the Holy Spirit bring?
Be sure to ask your questions and share your ideas in the comments for this post!