Book - John (there are many different "books" in the one book of the Bible),
Chapter - Normally found as a big numeric heading. John has 21 chapters,
Verse - a segment usually about a sentence long.
The chapter and verse markings were added to the text as a handy index about 800 years ago. They are the same in virtually every different translation.
Here's a link to John chapter 16. You can also compare the text in several different languages and translations.
If you want a copy of John's Gospel in print, we're happy to meet you around the Mizzou campus and put one into your hand!
1. In John 16, the disciples don't like Jesus' statements that he is going away. What is Jesus' purpose in going away? What good will it do?
2. Jesus says that "the world" hates him and the Father. What can we see that makes this seem true? Are there signs that our world also loves the Father and the Son? How do we reconcile these attitudes?
3. List the things John 16 says the Holy Spirit will do. Why are these important? Is this a complete list of the things the Holy Spirit does?
4. What is it that will turn the disciples' sorrow into joy?
5. When we think of Jesus overcoming the world, what do we picture?
Be sure to ask your questions and share your ideas in the comments for this post!